My weight loss so far!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Quality Vs. Quantity

I asked a friend at work not too long ago if you could have one bite of something wonderful or a big plate full of something mediocre, which one would you pick? She said the plate because she can't eat skimpy food. I told her that I would go for the one bite of something wonderful. I think that the quality of your food should win out of the quantity but somehow we as a nation have gotten that backwards.
I remember once about 30 years ago now in about 1983 or 84 I was at the grocery store with my mom and in the bakery section, in a freezer case they had some real, New York cheese cakes. They didn't look like anything I had ever seen in a cheese cake before. The small ones where over $8. That was ridiculously expensive for a grocery store cake in Alabama in 1984. They sat there forever and nobody bought them. Then one day I saw that they were clearing them out for half price. Almost $5 was still too high BUT they had one cut up into chunks about an inch square and I picked one up and popped it into my mouth. It was the best cheese cake I have ever eaten before or since. I can honestly say that this one bite has really ruined cheese cake for me because every single time since when I get one I am looking for one that tastes like it and none ever have. I always feel a small amount of disappointment because of this.
I mention that because I would gladly give up all the cheese cake in the world for another bite just like it. The point I am trying to make is that I would much rather have a few bites of something great than a whole plate of not so great, any day. I think that most people get too caught up in the amount but really the first bite of anything will taste the same as the last bight so what difference does it make if you end up with 10 or 20 bites? Does bite 20 or 30 taste any better? How about we strive to only eat the really good stuff and then focus on portion size and if you really need 30 bites, just take smaller bites.
I have been trying to do this and honestly haven't really strayed from it. I could care less if I ever eat fast food ever again. I only deserve the best, right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment